- LocationAan bosrand
- Available until-
- House typeManor
- Surface135 m²
- Roof terraceNo
- Washing machine-
Part of a beautiful, detached country house located on the estate Sandwijck.
The national monument Sluishoef has been completely renovated recently and has, among other things, double glazing, solar panels and a heat pump.
Modern, sustainable and contemporary living in a characteristic historic building.
The property covers part of the ground floor and the first floor, has 3 bedrooms and is surrounded by a lovely garden. The garden is part of a landscaped park of 65ha.
It is located very close to the Uithof and also conveniently situated in relation to the various main highways. Sluishoef is within walking distance of all amenities (including schools) of De Bilt and is a 10-minute bike ride from the center of Utrecht. In addition, within a 100m walk, there is a busstop with buses come by every 5 minutes.
Hallway with toilet, spacious living room, dining kitchen with various appliances and access to the spacious terrace and garden. In the nearby carriage house is a (bicycle) storage
3 bedrooms, bathroom with walk-in shower, bath and washbasin.
The property is unfurnished.
There is no definitive energy label (yet).
The house is for rent for expats who want to rent for a certain period of time. Students and home sharers are not eligible.
Minimum rental period 12 months.
Pets are not allowed.
This text is not legally binding. Restriction owner.
History country house Sluishoef
The Landhuis Sluishoef is situated to the east of the city of Utrecht in the former river basin of the Rhine. This river, which always changed its course and threatened the city of Utrecht with its numerous floods, was dammed in 1122 in Wijk bij Duurstede.
The area with alternating streams and marshes, which was released as a result, was subsequently drained by monks in the 12th century and castles were build.
The line of castles and country houses between Utrecht and Rhenen, which developed from the 16th century, is now called the Stichtse Lustwarande. Sluishoef is the first manor of this Lustwarande from Utrecht and is located directly behind the lock of the canal De Biltsche Grift, which was dug in 1640.
From Vingerhoedsmolen to estate:
At the newly dug Biltsche Grift, Jan Claerszoon Schot settled in 1644, directly behind the lock, and built his so-called Vingerhoedsmolen. A water mill, using the 1.5m water level difference. Here stood for 150 years the largest producer of thimbles in Europe.
When production slowed down around 1800, due to the industrial revolution in Germany and Sweden, the Mill was shut down and eventually sold in 1823.
The industrialist Hendrik de Heus and his world-famous wife, ballet dancer Marie Polly Cunninghame, rebuilt the house in 1824 into a country estate. In the house, to the annoyance of the noble neighbor, military knots and coins were washed clean with water from the Biltsche Grift. In dry times even horse power was used.
After the house was sold to David Jan Martens in 1857, this was stopped and the house was extended with an orangery over the entire rear facade. This is how the square main shape that Sluishoef still has originated.
As early as 1958 Martens sold the house to his neighbors, Elizabeth Both Hendriksen and Baron C.W.J. van Boetzelaer, who then let their land agent live in it.
The estates Sandwijck and Sluishoef were also merged and redecorated by landscape architect Lunteren. The original construction as English Landscape Park, with lots of water, numerous tree species, a folly and beautiful see throughs is still present.
From 1915 Sluishoef fell into decay.
The orangery was partly demolished and in the 1950s, the famous architect Gerrit Rietveld asked Baron van Boetzelaer if his carpenter, Gerard van de Groenekan, could temporarily live with his family in the Sluishoef. The latter used the orangery as a sawmill and the middle room as a studio and made the Rietveld furniture here that still can be found in many museums.
In 1963, the Sandwijck estate including all the buildings was sold to the University of Utrecht, which wanted to start a new Hortus Botanicus. This plan did not continue because of the construction of the A28 and in the meantime the buildings became decayed more and more.
In 1985 the Utrecht Landscape became the owner of the estate and the buildings. These buildings were sold as soon as the opportunity arose and subsequently restored.
Gerard van de Groenekan died in 1998 and in 1999 Sluishoef was sold to the Sluijmer Engbers family. The house was then in a miserable state and was fully restored after thorough historical research.
The Sluijmer-Engbers family is still the proud owner-occupier of the well-preserved monument Sluishoef.